2012 has been a fantastic year for taekwondo, marked by a successful competition in the London Olympic Games. In 2013, Taekwondo fans will also be able to witness great fights. Here is the list of the events that you must put in your calendar, right now:
- June 8: 4th WTF World Para-Taekwondo Championships – Lausanne, Switzerland
- June 21: Taekwondo Competition at the 17th Mediterranean Games – Mersin, Turkey
- July 15: 2013 WTF World Taekwondo Championships – Puebla, Mexico
- August 8: 2013 World Masters Games Taekwondo – Torino, Italy
- October 6: Taekwondo Competition at the 6th East Asian Games – Tianjin, China
- December: 2013 WTF World Grand-Prix Taekwondo
The big news is the appearance of the World Grand Prix. Decided in late 2012, the goal of this new event is to allow more frequent encounters between the best taekwondo athletes around the globe. After the successful taekwondo competition at the London Games, the board of the WTF banks on an event that should boost the fighters’ levels and give more media exposure to the sport. Each year, several Continental Grand Prix will be organized before the world finals in December.
We can’t be anything but enthusiastic about the idea of watching more frequently at fights including Jade Jones, Milica Mandić, Joel González, Mohammad Bagheri, etc.
However, this event is planned to be as important as the World Championships or the Olympic Games. Won’t it diminish the interest of the numerous International Opens? Time will tell!
See the complete list of 2013 WTF events.